Friday, 1 January 2016

A New Year: 2016 Edition


This time last year I wrote this post, discussing all the things I was proud of achieving in 2014 and a few goals for the coming year. It's interesting to look back at it and see how much has happened over the last 12 months and though many things have stayed the same, lots of things have changed too.

This year has been a bit of a roller-coaster for me - career wise. I spent a lot if time worrying about what I was doing with my life. The new job I was so excited about a year ago didn't work out like I'd hoped, after six months I ended up back at my old place of work and feeling very unhappy and confused about my future. 

Today I can look back at 2015 as a huge learning curve. I'm now very happy to have a brand new job doing what I love, in an industry I'm very passionate about. I get the chance to be creative, working with an amazing group of people and I'm finally feeling like I'm on track to have a career that I'm proud of.

If there's one thing I've learnt from this year it's that, while your job can be a big part of your life, it isn't everything. Whilst I was feeling pretty uninspired at work, I took the opportunity to really enjoy the time I spent at play instead. I ticked a few things off the bucket list and had a great time doing so. Here's a couple of things I did this year that made me happy: 

Festivals - This year I finally managed to make it to a couple of local festivals including Isle of Wight and Victorious. I was sent to IOW as the official blog reporter for Ticketmaster which was a pretty sweet deal. VIP wristbands allowed us entry to the VIP viewing area, backstage passes, as well as sleeping in a beautifully serene campsite. 

I have some amazing memories from both festivals. Spending time with my best friends, drinking wine from boxes and partying the days and nights away in all kinds of weather conditions. Musical highlights included Fleetwood Mac, James Bay and The Darkness. I'm really looking forward to festival season 2016.

Getting the chop - In 2010 I got my long hair cut into a bob and I absolutely hated it. Ever since then I decided to grow my hair and never make the mistake of cutting it short ever again. Over those years I learned that with great long hair comes great responsibility (or something). It takes a very long time to wash, dry and style, it gets knotted very easily, and most of the time if you're a low maintenance kinda gal like me - it just looks a bit crap. 

In the summer of 2015 I went against the oath I'd taken all those years ago, and I cut my very long hair off into a sleek and edgy, collarbone length style. I absolutely freakin' love it. Now I have a new oath, never to grow my hair long ever again.

Friends - I'm really happy to have been surrounded by inspiring and successful friends and family this year. Whether it's promotions at work, moving abroad, getting engaged or changing career / education paths, this year I've watched the people closest to me achieve great things. Good job, guys!

I haven't written many blog posts this year, but there were a few highlights. Let's take a look back at some of them:


Now we've taken a trip down memory lane, it's time to put a few goals in place for 2016. 

New York, New York - Whilst I have a pretty extensive bucket list of different countries and cities I want to visit, New York has always been at the very top. I've never actually ventured outside of the EU, but this year I've decided that a trip to the Big Apple is definitely on the cards. Cocktails in Greenwhich Village, shopping on 5th Avenue, taking a stroll around Central Park. 2016 is the year. I can feel it.

Girl online - As you may or may not have noticed, this year I've been posting on this little blog a lot less than I used to. That's because I've become a little bit uninspired with blogging lately. I'm bored of the same old content, I'm unsatisfied with the whole look and feel of my site, and I just don't make the time for it anymore like I used to.

Whilst I'm not really using this space for much anymore, I still want to have somewhere where I can document my travels, my evolving style, and my thoughts. So this year I'm going to do some brainstorming and put some work into recreating my online presence... Watch this space.

Creativity - Whilst my job can involve being quite creative, it also involves a lot of time at a computer. This year I want to put more time into channeling my creativity outside of the world wide web. The past couple of months has seen me picking up my paintbrushes and sitting at the piano a lot more than I have done for years and I want to continue this into 2016.

As well as being more creative myself, this year I want to visit more art galleries and exhibitions, attend more gigs and festivals, and just generally immerse myself in the wonderfully cultural and creative world that we live in. 

Congratulations if you made it to the end of this monster of a post! Let me know what made you happy this year, and if you have any exciting plans for 2016. 


Happy New Year! xoxoxo


Sarah...x

  
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Hope all your dreams for 2016 come true lovely girl xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful list of goals to me! I was the same with my hair, I had a bob when I was about 8 and hated it, from then on I had super long hair but never really brushed it enough and this year (11 years later) I chopped it all off and I adore it, admittedly it's not super short but I definitely don't want the hassle of long hair again! x

    India Charlotte♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - I appreciate and read all of the comments left on my blog. If you have a question tweet me @sarah_nunn17 for a quick response!

© Sarah Nunn

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig