Tuesday, 28 May 2013

Best of the 90s: Fashion

I'm back with another post for my Best of the 90s series! If you missed it, last time I wrote all about my favourite TV shows from that decade which you can read here. I think I'm feeling nostalgic for my youth recently as I can't get enough of the 90s trends that have hit the high street in the past couple of months, and so today I'm going to talk about all the wonderful fashion that the 90s gave us. 


The jeans



Ah, the days when jeans sat high on the waist, not low at the hips. Light wash, high waisted, belted and fitted at the ankle. Those jeans. Now, there'd have been a time about ten years ago when if you were seen wearing this type of jean, you'd have been shunned to the depths of fashion crime hell. The days when dark wash bootcut jeans were all the rage. Oh yes, because those were so much better. Cringe!

I'm happy to say that high waisted, skinny fit jeans are back with a vengeance! You just need to pop into your local Topshop to see that. If you've been hiding under a rock recently then you probably won't realise by now that I am of course talking about the beautiful Joni jeans and the even more wonderful Mom jeans. A nod to the 90s if ever there was one. Okay, I admit this style doesn't look great on everyone (as demonstrated by some of the lovely folks from the original 90210 in the photo above). But if you think you can pull it off then go for it, and if not, do it anyway. We may as well make these mistakes now while we're young. Other wise our kids won't have any pictures to laugh at when we're older.

Dungarees


-I realise everyone hates Alexa Chung, but she was the only person I could find (in the 2 minutes I spent searching - hello, I'm impatient) embracing the true 90s dungaree style. So she's making an appearance today-

More denim? The 90s sure gave us a lot of denim. Anyway dungarees seem to be coming back into style this Spring / Summer and, although personally I don't think it's a trend I'll be getting in to, I do think it's great that everyone else is doing so! For me, dungarees in the 90s are all about grunge. Messy hair, converses, T shirts. That's what I think of when I think of dungarees. This time around they are much more feminine, and people are pairing them with dainty sandals and pretty floral prints, instead. The evolution of trends is what fashion is all about though, so carry on ladies, I'm diggin' it!

Doc Martens



No shoe can embody the grunge vibe of the 90s better than the Doc Marten can - although Converse All Stars would probably come in at a close second. I'm pretty sure Docs have been around since the 1940s or 50s, but it was the grungy teenagers of the 90s that finally brought these shoes into the lime light. I can't wait to get my hands of my first ever pair of Doc Martens one day, I think they look great in summer with denim shorts, or ditzy floral summer dresses. Plus they're perfect for chilly toes on winter days, too. And it's all thanks to the 90s for bringing these beautiful boots to our attention. Good call, guys.

Crop Tops


This is one trend from the 90s that I am sure loving this summer! Granted, I'm not sure everyone will be wearing short tops with short shorts like the model above, but with the high waisted jeans that I mentioned before - it's a nod to the 90s without feeling too exposed. And it's a style that I'm sure lots of people can pull off! Check me out attempting this style in one of my recent outfit posts here

So those are my favourite fashion trends from the 90s that are bound to be making an appearance in our wardrobes this summer, too. What other trends from the 90s can you remember?

Keep a look out for more 90s posts coming soon!


Note: All pictures found from Google Images and Pinterest. 








   

SHARE:

20 comments

  1. Great post!
    I'm loving the 90's trends right now.
    I have just purchased myself some dungarees.
    I really want those jeans though!

    darlingsophie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool post, you remind me some nice memories))) Great pictures as well!
    Have a fabulous time!

    Best wishes, Alexandra
    www.svetusvet.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! I love all of these!
    How can anyone hate Alexaaaa?

    www.laurensibs.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a fan of this post! it's so true, my older sisters use to wear neon lace and crop tops and cons, dr Ms and now it's all come bk around. Wish we didn't chuck all that 90's fashion away in my house lol Really do love your blog x

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'I realise everyone hates Alexa Chung' -haha! Dungarees and Docs are 2 of my fave 90s trends.

    Tara
    www.thestylerawr.com
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I truly love your blog.. Pleasant colors & theme.
    Did you make this amazing site yourself? Please
    reply back as I'm hoping to create my own personal website and want to know where you got this from or what the theme is called. Thank you!

    my blog post ... Mario Lemieux Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love 90's fashion, Alexa Chung pulls it off impeccably! x

    http://lucyandbeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know why people hate Alexa :/ I quite like her, is that bad? Haha! I remember wearing Dungarees haha! xxx

    Gemma | MissMakeupMagpie.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post! it's so true.

    http://omfgflora.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey there, great post. It's so weird how fashion comes back around and in style after so many years. Also I love Alexa!
    I really love your blog and it’d be great if we could follow each other. Let me know on my blog? Thanks, Sarah x

    FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boast-It/197294517088046?fref=ts
    sarahamyruth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. i adore adore adore dungarees at the minute! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that kind of style! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved the post, got to love the cool nineties style! The temptations to get some dungarees is over powering! haha

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing post, I wish we could go back to 90s! haha

    www.malefashionuk.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! I'm absolutely loving crop tops and dungarees at the moment!
    Yinyin xx
    YinyinLoves

    ReplyDelete
  16. I actually love all these trends! so glad the 90's is back! x

    http://aztecdoll.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a great post idea! I've been trying to think of more interesting things to do than just outfit posts or lust lists. This has definitely inspired me to branch out with my style posts more.

    I'm also loving the 90s look, especially the crop tops! I can't wait to start channeling my inner Buffy this summer

    ReplyDelete
  18. haha i actually love Alexa Chung!
    love these posts xo

    victoriasanusi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. The 90's is the best!

    www.simplybeauty123.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - I appreciate and read all of the comments left on my blog. If you have a question tweet me @sarah_nunn17 for a quick response!

© Sarah Nunn

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig