Tuesday, 26 March 2013

DIY - Studded neon elbow patches

Studded yellow neon elbow patch

What's that sorry? Neon elbow patches you say? Oh, with studs too?
HEART SHAPED?

Well. This is all very exciting. Yes, I got a little bored earlier and in the spur of the moment decided to spruce up an old jumper with some pretty new elbows. Does this sound like something that would interest you too? If so then it must be your lucky day because I just happen to have the instructions right here! 

Firstly. What you will need:


Sewing kit DIY studded neon elbow patches

- A jumper. Or cardigan. Or shirt. Or anything with boring elbows. It's really up to you.
- Fabric in a contrasting colour / pattern
- Basic sewing kit (yours doesn't have to have cupcakes on - but it's just cooler if it does)
- Scissors
- A pen
- Scrap of paper
- Oh and loads of tiny pyramid studs (not shown)

Okay now that you have all your materials together it's time to get cracking.


DIY studded neon elbow patches

Step 1 - Actually put the jumper on and mark out with the pen where your elbows are. Don't just guess - it won't work.

Step 2 - Cut out a little stencil with the scrap of paper in whatever shape you want your patches to be. I chose a heart shape because I'm such a cutie pie (just kidding) but it can really be whatever shape you want! 

Step 3 - Use the stencil to draw onto the fabric and carefully cut out your patches. If you're going to put studs round the edges like mine then it won't matter too much if it's a little rough. But if you're not then you'll want your edges to be as perfect as possible.


Heart shape elbow patches neon yellow

Step 4 - Now this is the trickier bit. Grab a needle and thread (preferably of a similar colour to the fabric) and sew your little patches onto the sleeves of your jumper covering up the marks you made earlier. Try and be careful not to accidentally sew the sleeves together or anything stupid like that (er, that totally didn't happen to me). 

Step 5 - Try it on again! This way you can see how they look and make sure they're in the right places.



Red hair, neon yellow elbow patches DIY

Step 6 - If your cutting and sewing skills aren't too shabby then feel free to stop here! But if you're like me and felt that the little patches looked a little 'unfinished' then grab your studs and attach them all round the edges of your hearts. They're pretty self explanatory to apply, just poke them through the material and fold down the little spikes. Easy! (Although it did ruin my nails).

And you're DONE! 


studded neon yellow elbow patches

I hope you liked this little tutorial, and I'd love to see any DIYs you've done yourselves.

Sarah.



SHARE:

16 comments

  1. This is absolutely adorable! I've been wanting to try elbow patches. You make it look so easy! And I love the bright/studded version you made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks, they really are easy! You should definitely do it :)

      Xx

      Delete
  2. Oh my God this is so original, you're so creative girrrl! Love it :)

    Mónica <3
    lookatmonica.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look amazing- and i'm in love with anything that has studs on haha i wanna try this! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! I'm obsessed with studs too haha :)

      Xx

      Delete
  4. Great choice of colours, I love neon yellow with charcoal or black! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! What a great DIY! I'm following now on GFC, hope you check my blog too :)
    http://www.curlsandbags.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a good idea and bang on trend with the neon accents x

    http://whatisinherwardrobe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this tutorial! So cute :)

    http://Heidi-likes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. this seems so simple to do, but leaves a really effective result! love it :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! it looks so easy to do x

    http://fashion-squash.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the addition of the studs. Cute and edgy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i LOVE this! amazing DIY, so creative :) Gonna have to copy this now! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What i don't understood is in fact how you are now not actually much more smartly-liked than you may be now. You are very intelligent. You know therefore considerably in relation to this matter, produced me in my opinion imagine it from so many various angles. Its like men and women are not fascinated unless it is something to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your personal stuffs great. All the time take care of it up!

    Also visit my blog - Mario Lemieux Jersey

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - I appreciate and read all of the comments left on my blog. If you have a question tweet me @sarah_nunn17 for a quick response!

© Sarah Nunn

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig